What are Chakras?
Chakra means wheel of light in Sankrit (an ancient language with Indian origins). The human body has hundreds of chakra points but has seven (7) main points which are located in the centre of the body.
Associated Aspects:- Earth, Physicality, Etheric Body
Associated Colour:- Red
Located at the base of the spine is the Root or Base chakra, which together with the earthstar chakra and the feet chakras form our foundations. The issues related to this chakra are concerned with physical survival, grounding and connection with the Earth and our body. When this chakra functions well, physical energy, good health, abundance and security are created.
Issues related to the Base Chakra
- Fears and insecurities related to safety and survival.
- Difficulties with ‘grounding’ and being in the ‘now’.
- Disorganisation; indecision.
- Lack of physical energy.
- Difficulty dealing with stress or difficulty fully manifesting creative ideas.
- Problems in the lower physical body.
Associated Aspects:- Water, Emotional maturity, Emotional Body
Associated Colour:- Orange
Located in the area of the lower abdomen, the issues of this chakra relate to our emotional identity and sexuality. Balancing this chakra allows us to experience life as a fluid flow in which we connect with others through our feelings, and experience healthy and fulfilling sexual relationships.
Issues related to the Sacral Chakra
- Anger; frustration; impatience.
- Blocked creativity: emotionally & physically.
- Difficulty expressing sexuality; sexual guilt.
- Out of balance emotions; emotional extremes; violence.
- Unable to express or get in touch with emotional needs.
- Difficulty accepting change.
- Relationship difficulties.
- Wounded inner child.
Solar Plexus Chakra
Associated Aspects:- Fire, Self Definition, Lower Mental Body
Associated Colour:- Yellow
Located in the area of the stomach, the issues of this chakra relate to self-definition, personal power and positive emotional expression. Balancing this chakra brings the ability to create healthy boundaries, balanced personal power, will power and positive self-value.
Issues related to the Solar Plexus Chakra
- Oversensitive: too open to others’ thoughts & feelings or negative psychic impressions.
- A sense of vulnerability; feelings of unease in the stomach area.
- Lack of self worth.
- Lack of personal boundaries.
- Power issues.
- Emotional neediness & conditional love.
- Aggression; anger.
- An overly active mind.
Associated Aspects:- Air, Unity, Higher Mental Body
Associated Colour:- Green
Located in the region of the physical heart, the issues of this chakra relate to the need to integrate opposite polarities within the structure of our personality so that we can re-establish the consciousness of unity and unconditional love. Balancing this chakra brings the ability to love without conditions, to feel compassion, peace and brotherhood.
Issues related to the Heart Chakra
- Loneliness and isolation from others through fear of being hurt.
- Fear of closeness.
- Lack of trust in self or Universe.
- Feeling unloved; overly critical, possessive or jealous.
- Feelings of superiority; unable to reach out to others.
Associated Aspects:- Sound, Self Expression, Causal Body
Associated Colour:- Blue
Located in the area of the throat and thyroid gland the issues of this chakra relate to communication of all kinds and the expression of our creativity. When this chakra is balanced the Soul is able to communicate higher wisdom, inspiration and guidance to the personality. Inner hearing is linked to this chakra.
Issues related to the Throat Chakra
- Difficulty knowing or expressing your truth.
- Withdrawn personality.
- Putting on a ‘brave face’ rather than express turmoil inside.
- Suppressed emotions, needs or creativity.
- Physical problems in the throat or ears.
Third Eye Chakra
Associated Aspects:- Light, Intuition, Soul Body
Associated Colour:- Indigo
Located in the centre of the forehead and the pituitary gland, the Brow chakra or Third Eye is related to the ability to see both physically and psychically. It is the seat of our intuition and inner wisdom and when balanced allows us access to ‘the bigger picture’ of our lives. Therefore, inner vision is connected to this chakra.
Issues related to Third Eye Chakra
- Lack of faith in self and the universe.
- Feeling that ‘I don’t know’.
- Overly mental approach to life.
- Difficulty with intuition or inner knowing; no inner pictures.
- Unable to focus thoughts.
- Stuck in the small details of life.
Associated Aspects:- Pure Awareness, Spiritual Connection, Integrated Spiritual Body
Associated Colour:- Violet
Located on the top of the head and connected with the pineal gland, this chakra, when balanced, carries the consciousness of pure awareness connecting us with Source. It opens us to the greater world beyond material existence and connects us with the timeless space of ‘all knowing’. The symbol of the lotus flower has always been related to this chakra and to the state of enlightenment that we can achieve through reaching this level of consciousness.
Issues related to the Crown Chakra
- An inability to see beyond this third dimensional existence.
- No spiritual awareness.
- A need for greater spiritual connection.